NEWS DESK: You have been trying hard to lose weight but something is not going right. Sometimes, all you need is a little motivation. Nothing can be better if that motivation comes to you from someone who has been through the same path and lost it like a pro.
According to a report published in Times of India, here are tips from 23 different people who have gone through the weight loss journey with success:
- I cook all my food in 2 tbsp oil (for a family of four).
- I started doing workout daily for 45 minutes at home when my kids were asleep
- You can’t achieve a healthy weight overnight. Consistency, sustainability and discipline are the keys to being fit.
- One shouldn’t starve or skip meals to lose weight. I keep on snacking every 2 hours with buttermilk/ coconut water/ fistful of dry fruits/ bhuna chana/ fruit.
- I try to have my dinner before 7:30 PM so that there is a gap of 3 hours between my dinner and bedtime.
- The right guidance is important, especially when there are so many fad diets and food myths widely believed these days.
- I never had any supplements nor did I go to any gym. So, the secret to get fit lies in eating simple food and planning your workouts according to your body.
- Recently, I had my birthday and I cut my cake, but I wasn’t tempted to have it. I now see health as a way of life and not some fad diet or a power yoga class.
- Never engage in crash diets as it will make you nutrient deficient. You may be able to lose weight, but you will also lose essential nutrients.
- Every morning you have two choices: continue to sleep with your dreams, or wake up and chase them.
- Sprouts Cheela is both healthy and yummy. I can live on sautéed veggies. I also love spinach masala uttapam.
- Recipe: Mix spinach puree into the uttapam batter along with a lot of veggies.
- Blend some cottage cheese with a bit of curd and strawberries (or any fruit), and drizzle one tablespoon of honey or a spoon of dry fruits! It satisfies sweet craving.
- Exercise for me is a reward for my body, not a punishment for what I ate.
- Getting healthy and losing weight doesn’t start in a kitchen or in a gym – it starts in your mind. Once you get yourself in the right place mentally – you cannot lose focus, until you achieve your goal.
- I understood that working out or running excessively to burn off calories of that pizza you ate will not help you lose weight.
- Your daily carb intake should not exceed 400 gms. It should range between 50 to 100 gms if you are on a weight loss programme.
- If you want to lose weight, begin with proper meals at proper time and gradually shift towards increasing your physical workout.
- I walk more than 10,000 steps and climb 10 floors daily.
- Fats are not bad, sugars are!
- I try to limit my carb intake to twice a day and consume no more than a quarter plate at each sitting. I consume sweet potato instead of potato, brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice. I always ensure to have half a plate of salad/steamed or stir fried vegetables for lunch and dinner.
- I have my daily goals written down, so they are always easily at hand for me to read and reinforce every morning.
- The most important lesson is that we need to eat to live and not vice versa. Therefore, everyone needs to manage one’s diet keeping in mind their activity level. It surely helps to put body weight under check.
Story first published: 20th August 2017