Diplomats said the 15-member UN body would meet later Wednesday to assess the proposal put forward by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres after Yemen’s warring parties, namely Houthi Ansarullah movement and the former government, agreed a truce in the Houthi-held port in Sweden on December 13.
In a letter on Tuesday, Guterres asked the council to approve the deployment of up to 75 observers to the ports of Hudaydah, Saleef and Ras Isa, backed by additional administrative and security staff, for six months to “monitor the compliance of the parties to the ceasefire.”
Guterres said the larger monitoring mission would contribute to sustaining a “fragile political process” re-launched by UN Yemen envoy Martin Griffiths.
The proposed mission “would provide important support for the special envoy’s efforts to facilitate an inclusive political process with the aim of reaching a negotiated settlement that will bring about a permanent end to the conflict in Yemen,” said Guterres in his proposal.
Griffiths will also brief the council on Wednesday on his latest efforts aimed at shoring up the truce.
On Tuesday, Griffiths met with Yemen’s former government officials, including president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and members of the ex-parliament in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, after holding talks with Houthi leaders in the capital Sana’a.
The UN envoy for Yemen seeks to shore up a ceasefire in the port city of Hudaydah amid reports of clashes.
Once the proposal is approved, diplomats would begin negotiations on a draft resolution to formally establish the mission.
Diplomats said Britain was working on a draft resolution to approve Guterres’ proposal, but had not yet circulated it to council members.
The Council will need to take action on Guterres’ request by about January 20, when a 30-day authorization for an advance monitoring team led by retired Dutch General Patrick Cammaert expires.
Under a resolution adopted last month, the world body deployed to Yemen a small team of about 16 international monitors led by Cammaert.
According to Guterres’ proposal, Cammaert would head the new observer mission as well.
The UN is proposing to bring the warring sides together again for a new round of talks later this month, probably in Kuwait.
Hudaydah, a lifeline for millions of Yemenis, has seen some of the heaviest fighting in the Saudi-led aggression, which began in March 2015.
The UN said this month that 73,000 Yemenis are living under famine conditions, and millions more risk dying from hunger. @NewsHour reports from the ground as the humanitarian crisis spirals downward. https://t.co/9W66ltfejd
— FRONTLINE (@frontlinepbs) January 8, 2019
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates launched the Hudaydah offensive in June but have been facing strong resistance from Yemeni armed forces — led by the Houthis — as well as the city’s residents.
The Saudi war has killed tens of thousands of Yemeni people and made the country the world’s worst humanitarian disaster.
The imposed war initially consisted of an airstrike campaign but was later coupled with a naval blockade and the deployment of ground mercenaries to Yemen.
Article source: https://www.suchtv.pk/world/item/79952-unsc-set-to-discuss-new-yemen-mission-proposed-by-guterres.html